Videos, and Games
Mathematical Physics II: Mathematical Statistical Mechanics (SS 2013)
|| Prof. Yu.B. Suris
|| 12:15 - 13:45
|| MA 645
| Prof. Yu.B. Suris
|| 12:15 - 13:45
|| MA 744
|| Dr. M. Petrera
|| 10:15 - 11:45
|| MA 651
This is a course of the Berlin Mathematical School held in English.
Principles of statistical mechanics, Elements of probability theory.
Gibbs measure, Partition function, Thermodynamic limit, Phase transitions, Asymptotic Gibbs measure.
Classical spin models, Curie-Weiss model, Ising model, Transfer matrix method, Star-triangle relation.
- Tutorial 1 (24.04.13): Sigma algebras, probability spaces, entropy, exercises on probability.
- Tutorial 2 (08.05.13): Boltzmann transport equation, Maxwell distribution, gas law, continuous and discrete systems.
- Tutorial 3 (15.05.13): Gibbs ensembles, canonical ensemble, partition function, ideal gas.
- Tutorial 4 (22.05.13): Thermodynamic limit, Van Hove interactions, stability of thermodynamics, correction of Ex. 3 WS2.
- Tutorial 5 (29.05.13): One-dimensional Ising model (partition function, free energy), exercise on an arbitrary spin, correction of WS3.
- Tutorial 6 (05.06.13): Gibbs ensembles for two-dimensional Ising-type models.
- Tutorial 7 (12.06.13): Gibbs ensembles for two-dimensional Ising-type models, correction of Ex. 3 WS5.
- Tutorial 8 (19.06.13): Exercises, correction of WS 6.
- Tutorial 9 (26.06.13): Partition function of the two-dimensional Ising-Onsager model, exercises.
- Tutorial 10 (03.07.13): Correction of WS 9.
Homework assignments are due weekly at the beginning of the Wed. lecture (10:15).
They have to be turned in directly to the lecturer.
No homework will be accepted after the deadline has passed.
Homework assignments can be solved in groups of three people.
To get the Übungsschein,
you need to satisfactorily complete 60% of the homework assignments.