Videos, and Games
This is a basic course of the
Berlin Mathematical School
and will be held in English. Depending on the audience one of the tutorials may be held in German.
will be offered on Friday 3 June and Friday 10 June.
This course is an introduction to different flavors of geometry.
Topics will include spherical, hyperbolic, projective, Möbius
and Lie geometry.
- Springborn, lecture notes from the 2007 version of this course at TU Berlin
- Euclid, Elements:
online with java or
Greek beside English text
- Prasolov & Tikhomirov, Geometry, TMM 200, Amer. Math. Soc.
- Hitchin, lecture notes on Projective Geometry: Chapters
- Fuchs & Tabachnikov,
- Klein, Vorlesungen über höhere Geometrie, GMW 22, Springer
- Blaschke, Projektive Geometrie, Birkhäuser
- Berger, Geometry I & II, Springer
- Audin, Geometry, Springer
- Coxeter, Non-Euclidean Geometry, Math. Assoc. Amer.
- Cannon, Floyd, Kenyon & Parry,
Hyperbolic Geometry, from Flavors of Geometry, MSRI
- Martin, The Foundations of Geometry and the Non-Euclidean Plane, UTM, Springer
- Henderson, Experiencing Geometry, Prentice Hall
- Sheet 1, due 27 October
- Sheet 2, due 3 November
- Sheet 3, due 10 November
- Sheet 4, due 17 November
- Sheet 5, due 24 November
- Sheet 6, due 1 December
- Sheet 7, due 8 December
- Sheet 8, due 15 December
- Sheet 9/10, due 12 January
- Sheet 11, due 19 January
- Sheet 12, due 26 January
- Sheet 13, due 2 February
To get a certificate for the tutorial, you need to satisfactorily complete 60% of the homework assignments.
The exercises are to be handed in in groups of two people. Depending on the number of students it might be possible to form groups of three.
The homework is due weekly at the beginning of the lecture on Tuesday. There will be NO possibility to hand in the exercises during or after the lecture!