This is a BMS basic course taught in English.
Lecture times and rooms
|MA 141||Prof. John M. Sullivan|
|Tutorials|| Thu 10:15–11:45 |
or Fri 10:15–11:45
- Point-set topology: basic definitions, theorems, and examples
- Covering spaces and the fundamental group: group actions, deck transformations, classification and existence of covering spaces, van Kampen theorem
- Homology: Hurewicz theorem, Eilenberg–Steenrod axioms, simplicial and singular homology, fixed point theorems
There will be weekly homework assignments, to be done in groups of two, and handed in before the tutorials (i.e., Thursday or Friday at 10).
Criteria to obtain a Schein: 50% of the homework points and successful completion of a midterm test. There will be a final oral exam. The homework, midterm and final exam may be completed in either German or English.
There was a mistake in homework sheet 3, exercise 2. The statements are only to be proven in the case n >= 2. The homework sheet has been amended accordingly.
The office hours on Wednesday, November 21, are cancelled. Please reach out via mail if you have any questions that week.
Contact information and office hours
|Prof. John M. Sullivan||MA email@example.com||TBA|
|Max Krause||MA firstname.lastname@example.org||Wed 13 - 15|
The midterm exam will take place on Monday, December 10, from 10:15 - 11:45 in room MA 042. Please be there 15 minutes early. There will be a lecture from 12:15 - 13:45 that day in the usual room MA 141.
You may bring a single DIN A4 (or smaller) sheet of paper with handwritten notes on both sides to the exam.
Our primary textbook will be Allen Hatcher, Algebraic Topology, Cambridge University Press
available online here.
Additional textbooks include:
- James Munkres, Topology, Pearson
- William Fulton, Algebraic Topology, GTM 153, Springer
- Glen E. Bredon, Topology and Geometry, GTM 139, Springer
- Klaus Jänich, Topologie, Springer
- Tammo tom Dieck, Topologie, de Gruyter
- Wolfgang Lück, Algebraische Topologie, Vieweg